5 to 10 Minute Stress Busters
Five to Ten Minutes Stress Busters
In this very busy and hectic world, it is very important that we check in each day to take care of ourselves. Stress can adversely impact your body and cause health related issues such as high blood pressure, headaches and fatigue. Stress can also lower our resistance, which can make us more susceptible to illness. I know that many of us are low on time, so I decided to create a list of 5 to 10 Minute Stress Busters that will help you bounce back in no time!
1. Take a short walk. A ten-minute walk can help alleviate stress and blue moods. Fresh air helps to refresh brain cells. Walking helps to boost your mood and alleviate depression since it boosts endorphins. A quick ten-minute walk will do wonders for you!
2. Drink a glass of hot tea. Tea reduces cortisol levels. This is especially true of Green tea and Chamomile tea. Both teas are high in antioxidants which help combat stress & anxiety levels.
3. Enjoy a Mango! Mangos are refreshing and packed with a compound called Linalool that lowers stress and anxiety levels.
4. Eat an Avocado or a Banana! Avocados are super fruits that help banish stress and anxiety. They are high in vitamin B which boosts your mood. Bananas contain serotonin, which help boost mood and increase happiness.
5. Indulge with Dark Chocolate! Dark chocolate contains antioxidants that help balance brain function. Studies have shown that dark chocolate does help balance serotonin levels that assist in lessoning anxiety and depression symptoms in people.
6. Eat Yogurt! Studies have shown that the Probiotics that are found in yogurt, assist with brain functioning. This improves mental health & the happier you are, the less stressed you are.
7. Meditation: Try a 5 to 10-minute stress relief mediation. Doing a meditation will help you clear your mind and rest your body. For an added effect, you can use the essential oils listed on # 8. There are great Apps that have some quick meditations. The Relax Meditation App from the iTunes store is great. It provides 20 plus guided meditations and also many relaxation sounds such as the flute, the harp, a babbling brook, the ocean, piano, rain, thunderstorms a crackling fireplace birds chirping and crickets and much more. After the meditation, you should feel rejuvenated!
8. Essential Oils: Lavender, Jasmine and Chamomile essential oils have relaxation properties and calm your nerves. Rub a small amount of oils on your temples and do some deep breathing for 5 minutes. (don’t forget to mix the oils with a carrier oil to avoid burning your skin).
9. Laugh or Smile: Read a funny joke or even watch a funny video on YouTube! Laughter releases endorphins, which promotes an overall sense of well-being.
10. Read or write down positive affirmations: These are empowering words or statements that give us hope and encouragement. Positive affirmations offer encouragement to people and help us feel confident that things can only get better. They are usually said in the present tense, for example, “I feel good today and I am strong enough to get through any situation with ease and positivity.” “My body is calm, and my mind is peaceful.” “I am in control of my life and I happily can navigate my own path.” Repeat the affirmations 5-10 times throughout the day. Breathe deeply and sit quietly as you say them.
Take time every day to do one or more stressbuster activities. It is quick and painless, and it can make you feel better!